- Don’t judge a book by its cover: this means don’t make a decision based on a brief impression or outward appearance (đừng đánh giá một sự vật/sự việc/con người chỉ qua vẻ bề ngoài)
“I don’t like our new neighbours very much, they’re quite strange.
You shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Give them a chance, I think they’re just a bit quirky but really nice!”
He doesn’t look very intelligent, but you can’t judge a book by its cover
- miss the boat= to miss an opportunity (lỡ cơ hội)
“If you miss the boat, it means you are too late to get an opportunity in my company”
“There were tickets available last night, but she missed the boat by waiting till today to try to buy some.”
- feeling under the weather= to be ill or unable to do regular activities (cảm thấy không khỏe, không được tốt)
If you’re feeling under the weather – you should go home and get some rest.
I’m feeling under the weather – I think I’m getting a cold
- leave no stone unturned= to do everything you can to achieve your goal (làm tất cả để đạt mục tiêu)
I’ll leave no stone unturned until I find out the reason
Don’t worry. I’ll find your stolen dog. I’ll leave no stone unturned
- hit the nail on the head= used if something someone says, is precisely correct (đoán đúng, đánh đúng trọng tâm, nói đúng….)
You hit the nail on the head when you used idioms in the speaking test.
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that what’s lacking in our company is a feeling of confidence.
- sit on the fence= to stay neutral and not take sides (lưỡng lự)
you can’t sit on the fence any longer- you have to decide where you go
I’m sitting on the fence with my girlfriend when we went shopping!
- take for granted = to never think about something because you believe it will always be available or stay exactly the same ( coi việc có cái gì như một điều hiển nhiên nên không trân trọng khi có điều đó)
He took her help for granted without saying thank you
I took it for granted that I would find the perfect job
- A piece of cake= very easy (dễ dàng)
“ Getting a band 6.5 in the speaking test will be a piece of cake”
“ Something easily accomplished, as in I had no trouble finding your house, it was a piece of cake”
- Blew me away= when something blows you away, you’re extremely impressed by it (khi thứ gì đó “blow you away”, nghĩa là thứ đó thực sự rất đáng ngạc nhiên)
“ The new technology blew me away”
“The amount of thecheck blew me away. The loud noise from the concert blew me away
- once in a blue moon= very rarely (rất hiếm khi)
“ i used to see him all the time, but now he just visits me once in a blue moon “
“ My sister lives in Saigon, so I only see her once in a blue moon”
- Run of the mill= average, ordinary (thông thường)
“Apple phones are very run of the mill these days. “
“ The restaurant we went to was nothing special, just run the mill. The service was good, but the food was run of the mill.”
- Soul mate= someone you trust very deeply (bạn chí cốt tâm giao, tri âm tri kỷ)
“ How to know when you have found your soul mate”
“ My husband is not just my lover, he’s my soul mate. “
- Down in the dumps = sad.
“ I was really down in the dumps after my dog died”
“ He’s down in the dumps because all his friends are out of town.”
- cost an arm and a leg= really expensive
Those hats must have cost an arm and a leg
I’d love to buy a Lamborghini supercar, but it costs an arm and a leg